Experience With Nature & Wildlife
- I am a naturalist after literally growing up in the woods of East Texas with an ID guide in my hands as I captured every living thing not fast enough to escape my efforts. This was followed by a lifetime of observation & study of everything to do with the natural world.
- Graduated with honors from the University of Texas – PB. Major: Biology Minors: Geology & Chemistry (later added a 3rd minor in Mathematics); Pika Award Winner; Outstanding Graduate in Biology
- Worked as a biologist for the University of Texas system in West Texas
- Part-time Park Ranger (2 summers)
- Worked as a volunteer after certification as a Texas Master Naturalist
Growing up in the woods of East Texas, I was fascinated with nature and all its inhabitants. My yard was a zoo as I had every type of animal that lived in the area. Later, I combined that love of nature with photography. They have been a great combination for me.
- Education: Self-taught in all aspects of photography
- Professional: For many years I have periodically provided basic photographic services for a fee on a part-time basis (in-home portraits, weddings, events & parties; etc.,); I have managed to have a things published in a variety of places including national publications; have successfully sold nature and wildlife prints online, in shops, & art shows; and offer basic photograph workshops (both for a fee and as a service)
- Continuing: It is a rare day I am not photographing something outdoors and then spending time with processing on the computer. I strive to improve my skills with practice as well as various books & guides, YouTube videos, informative websites and am a member of KelbyOne which is an excellent source for training in various aspects of photography.
In other words, I am basically self-taught when it comes to photography utilizing a wide variety of sources for my education. With none being more important than taking photo after photo and constantly trying to improve.